Monday, May 19, 2008

California to Alaska Trip – People


On our trip to Alaska, Terry and I met and had a nice visit and dinner with Joanne Alexakis and her husband, Nick. She is the coordinator for Penwheels and was the editor of that publication. She wrote reviews for the covers of both of my books. I wondered if I would recognize her since I only met her in person one time and that was five years ago. I knew her right away.

We also visited with Adrienne Kristine each of the three days we were at Fairfield, CA. She not only edited my new book, “More RV Chuckles and Chuckholes- More Confessions of Happy Campers,” but also wrote three articles that are published in it.

During book signings, I also met a chap from New Zeeland who wanted me to autograph my book to “me Mate.” He said that he is RVing through the south of the United States and returning home. I told him that I was pleased that my book is going to New Zealand.

I was invited to Elizabeth’s RV to see her ten cockatoos. She is home-schooling her grandson as she travels. Kay Kennedy, who is another Penwheeler, (Penwheels is a club of writers who are also Escapees) visited with me.

J.A. Valle traded me her well-written novel called “An Arrangement” for my book “RV Chuckles”.

A few people told me that Darlene Miller is an RV friend from Montana. When she approached me saying, “My name is Darlene Miller,” I surprised her by saying, “You must be from Montana.”

After wintering in the deserts of Arizona and California, the lush green of the mountains and fields of Oregon was appreciated. We had an adventure on our way to visit my niece Heidi and her family in Willamina. We followed the directions of our GPS zig- zagging across the countryside when the voice on the GPS said, “in two tenths of a mile keep left and board the ferry.” We watched the swift current of the Willamette River as we floated on the ferry. We also saw something growing that we had never seen before which we learned were hops vines growing up poles that were 10 to 12 feet tall. The green flowers are harvested for the production of beer.

Heidi and Mark welcomed us to their home and fed us dinner. Alax made me a card in which she wrote, “I Love you grat ant.” Alax also loved the Barbie doll clothes that I made for her. The children are pictured L to R Chris, age 11, Jonathon, age 9, Alax age 7 and Justyn age 4 and ½.

When we arrived in Eagle River, Alaska on May 15, we were greeted with hugs from our son Raymond and his wife Teresita.

No comments: