Friday, August 25, 2006

I'd Rather RV


I have safely arrived back to Anchorage but I don’t mind telling you that I would rather travel by RV. On August 10, I arrived at the Anchorage airport two hours early as requested by the airlines. I stood in line to get my boarding pass. All of the things that I was not sure I could take in my carry on, such as lipstick, make up and my cell phone; I dumped in the stowed luggage. I stood in line to go through the x-ray machine and went to the gate for my flight to Minneapolis and then to Des Moines. There were huge waste baskets where the TSA (Transportation Security Agents) were disposing of toothpaste, lotions, distilled water for CPAP machines, make up, and medicines not in the prescription boxes such as nasal mists. I went to the gate to sit and wait. I stood in line because the TSA personal made a corral of chairs and set up tables to search through our carry ons again. The plane was delayed 53 minutes and then another hour while we sat in the corral. I saw a woman go to the guard and ask permission to go to the bathroom. They searched her again when she returned to her seat.

We arrived in Minneapolis about eleven thirty on August 10. Since we missed our connecting flights, we stood in line to receive vouchers. Then we stood in line to go to register for the shuttle. I stood in line to get on the shuttle. I stood in line to register at the Hotel in St. Paul. I was told to phone for the shuttle in the morning from my room. They said that I needed a 4:30 or 4:45 am shuttle to reach the airport in time for my 7: 10 am flight to Des Moines. My room had a king sized bed that had a control for making the mattress hard or soft which, because of the schedule, I was able to use for three and a half hours. I arrived in Des Moines about 8:30 am but my luggage was missing. I stood in line to report it but did not know my daughter’s address on Highway G71 or her phone number since that information was in the missing luggage. My sister gave them mom’s phone number and address.

The airline personal phoned mom at 6 pm to say they were delivering the luggage that night. My eighty-six-year old mother waited up for it until it was delivered at 10:15 p.m.

On my return trip to Memphis, Minneapolis, and Anchorage was on August 24. At Memphis, the accordion pleated cover from the gate to the airport would not open. We stood in line for 15 minutes to disembark. A portable ramp was brought to the plane to descend to the concrete and another portable ramp was placed to the covered entrance of the gate. I had plenty of time to make my next connection and proceeded to Minneapolis and to my next connection to Anchorage. The flight to Anchorage was delayed one hour because we waited on board for passengers to arrive from another flight and it was stormy. Although the flight to Anchorage was around storms, the pilot skillfully guided the plane with a minimum of bumps. When I arrived in Anchorage, my luggage was there. I am safe but I would rather travel by RV.

No comments: