Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Down Side of Living in Alaska


You might hit a moose.

A sign on the Glenn Highway about 10 miles from here says that there were 207 moose that died from motor vehicle accidents during the last year. We were driving south of Anchorage when we came upon an accident scene. The moose calf was crying and wandering in circles to and from the cow moose, which was dead and lying on the highway.

You might be in an earthquake.

About a week ago was the first time that I’ve felt an earthquake. It happened about 5:15 am while we were sleeping. The epicenter was in Anchorage in or around the Cook Inlet, which is about 15 to 25 miles from here depending on where it was centered. The tremor shook the RV. The earthquake measured 4.9.

Terry woke up startled and shouted “What was that?”

I answered, “Someone just hit the RV or we are in an earthquake .” Since we are parked close to the road, I dressed and went out to check the RV but could see no damage.

You need to adjust to 20 to 24 hours of sunlight in the summer.

We have adjusted to it being light when we go to bed. Terry has made styrofoam insulation sheets into window covers to block out the light. We go to bed later because it seems to still be early in the day. I do not think that I would adjust to 15 to 20 hours of darkness in the winter. However, now it is nice to drive without being in the dark. I stayed at a friend’s place longer than I planned so I called Terry and told him, “ I

No comments: