Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tea Sandwich Memories


My granddaughter, Kari De Joode, remembered the time she went to the Tulip Tearoom with my mother and mother-in-law. Since she was only five or six years old, I discouraged her from attending but she said, “I will not be bored.”

She wasn’t too enthusiastic by the menu which included Dutch spiced beef and chicken salad with walnuts. The proprietor said that she would make special peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for her. When they arrived, the sandwiches were shaped like tulips.

Kari is now 13 years old. She agreed to help me with a Birthday Tea while I was in Iowa. She suggested that we serve the little girls fancy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I agreed. We could not find tulip cookie cutters so she chose teddy bears, a rabbit, a chick, and a heart. The little girls loved them and some of the big girls too.

No comments: