Sunday, July 05, 2009

Anne of Green Gables


























































































































































When we visited the Green Gables site in Cavendish, the first thing I saw was a barn and then I thought that I saw the redheaded fictional character of Lucy Maud Montgomery enter the barn. I could see the house and the buggy that the exuberant orphan rode when she arrived to be adopted by Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, but Anne had disappeared. I peaked into her bedroom and saw the dress with the big puffy sleeves that she wanted. I went into the sewing room, and into the flower garden. Terry even went into the scary woods where she imagined all sorts of wild things but we didn’t see Anne again.

We drove to Springbrook and saw the place where Lucy Maud Montgomery was born. I saw a copy of Miss Montgomery’s wedding dress and some newspaper clippings and diaries. There was the stove that looked like the one that she wrote about. Upstairs was the room where Lucy was born. Downstairs there were copies of her books. I bought a new copy for my grand daughter.

July 4th was the date Terry picked to leave P.E.I. so we bade it farewell as we rode over the eight-mile long bridge in the fog.

No comments: