Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Only in Alaska?


I took this picture in a parking lot in Whittier. I’m not sure if the animals are reindeer or caribou. One place I read that reindeer are domesticated caribou. Then I learned that there is more than one kind of caribou and reindeer and caribou are different breeds.

I’ve given some thought on what to write about Alaska. I think that what I’m writing is only true in Alaska but I may be wrong. I welcome your comments in the comment section of this blog.

We were traveling along the Funny River Road toward Sterling when we saw a runway/golf course. Or was it a runaway converted into a golf course? I suppose the airplanes have the right of way. Who mows the grass?

The salmon are starting to return to the rivers. Alaskans can use dip nets to catch salmon for their own use in the next few weeks. Everywhere you shop, Wal-mart, Fred Meyers, Cosco, you find lots of fishing equipment. In Soldotna, at the Hardware and Fishing store, I saw a whole rack of de bonkers. They are also known as fish whackers. They are small baseball bat like pieces of wood used to hit the fish over the head.

We bought the Sunday paper for July 2– the Peninsula Clarion’s life section featured 3 recipes for the 4th of July. They were BBQ Moose Ribs, Rhubarb Spicy Sauce, and Perfect Salmon.

If you want to watch fireworks, the paper suggests that you watch the PBS Washington DC fireworks on TV. You will not see fireworks outdoors. It doesn’t get dark enough. Hope you had a happy Independence Day!

No comments: