Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Crescent Moon, Jupiter and Venus


I saw an amazing sight when I walked to the clubhouse on Monday evening, December 1. Just below the crescent moon were two bright stars. I later learned that they were the planets Jupiter and Venus. I called to Terry to look at the sky and take pictures. Then I called friends and relatives to suggest they look in the western sky. Some things in nature can’t be captured well in photos. As my friend Joan wrote, “The moon and stars were awesome! “ Hope you saw it too.

We have been very busy with friends at Castaways RV Park. Lil, our activity director, keeps us very busy. Not only do I go to the American Legion to play Bingo but play Sticks, Garbage Bingo, or Crazy Rook in the evening at the clubhouse. Irene and Dick drove us to “Yo Mama’s” for barbeque and then to the Texas Opry Jamboree. I joined a group of ladies who wore red hats and went to lunch at Sam’s Boat. We went to Vernon’s Catfish for dinner and we had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal in the clubhouse. Teta prepared the two turkeys and ham that were furnished by the owners of our campground. We had “all the fixins” since everyone prepared a dish to bring.

Our Thanksgiving service was also held in the clubhouse with our resident pastor, Oliver. I led the singing and sang a solo on a song written thousands of years ago by David in the 103rd Psalm.

Hope your Thanksgiving was just as happy as ours was.

4 comments:

Jerry and Suzy said...

Welcome back, Darlene! We missed you. Yes we saw the moon and planets - it was all over the news and blogs that we frequent, so we were prepared to go out. But I wasn't prepared for a picture. I'm glad you guys got it!

See you soon in Benson.

Anonymous said...

Darlene,
where is this clubhouse? We are arriving in Texas in Jan. Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Yes, I looked up on Monday night and saw this formation in the sky. I heard on the national news and called Lisa, as she is very interested in astonomy. I heard it will not be visible this way again until 2052. I won't be around then! Thanks for the picture. Pat

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture. Yes, I saw this too, and called Lisa to look. She is a big sky watcher. This won't appear again until the year 2052, and I'm sure I'll be six feet under by then. Pat