Sunday, October 04, 2009

Family News






















We had our grandchildren, Emily and Nathan, visit at my daughter’s house and our RV. Emily and Nathan made peanut butter cookies and learned that if you need 1 and ¼ cups of flour and your 1-cup measuring cup is wet, you can use the ¼ cup five times. Following recipes is a good way to learn fractions.

Nathan made a birthday card for my mother’s 90th birthday. He wanted to draw 90 candles with a flame on each candle but was spending more time counting the candles than drawing them. Then he started to write on another sheet of paper. When I asked what he was doing, Nathan answered, “I’m keeping track of the number of candles.” He wrote 32 and drew a candle and then 33 and drew another candle. I’m proud of him not only for his persistence but also that he was able to finish all the numbers and all the candles without any help.

Mother was proud of this five-generation picture that was taken at her Birthday party. Pictured are my parents, my son, Rich and his wife Shelly and their daughter Heather with her children, Shawn, Marcus and Mercedes.

Our family picture shows brother Jim seated on the left, my mother Agnes, my father Clarence, and brother Clare in the front row. The back row includes is my sister Angie, myself, and sisters Clara and Joy.

It’s bow-hunting season for deer. Grandson, Ryan, asked me to take pictures of the deer he shot before he ground the meat into ground venison. He sliced the rest of the meat as thin as possible, added spices and is drying it for venison jerky.

1 comment:

Jerry and Suzy said...

Gosh, Darlene, 5 generations! We've never been able to put together more than 4, and that was (1) at Jerry's Dad's 90th birthday, and (2) with Suzy's Mom's 96th!

Family is wonderful. Don't particularly care for hunting and pix of dead animals, but bowhunting is a special art, so Ryan has a right to be proud of it, and to display his prowess. It's good to know he's going to use the meat.