Monday, October 12, 2009

Iowa Wedding




Never before have I wore all black to a wedding. A person of my generation thinks that black is for funerals but I’m happy that my nephew Ben is getting married. It’s just that black clothes are the warmest clothes that I own and it was snowing on Oct. 10, 2009, the day that Ben and Shawna got married in Moravia, Iowa. The picture is of the front yard at my daughter’s home.

The wedding ceremony was traditional with the bride in a beautiful white satin strapless gown decorated with red embroidery and the traditional long white train while the groom wore a dark suit with a rose in his lapel. The three bridesmaids and maid of honor wore brown strapless gowns with flounces of red, or orange or gold and carrying bouquets of flowers of the same hue. Then they covered up with coats, hats, scarves and blankets while the whole bridal party mounted a wagon with hay bales on it to be driven to the reception. To be sure you knew what occasion had occurred; the wagon was decorated with a big red heart and flowers and the words “Just Married” on the back. Don’t you wish that I had taken a picture?

The women in the bridal party wore scarves to cover their bare shoulders and traded their thin slippers for long socks and boots. Many relatives and friends changed into pants, boots and comfortable warmer clothing until they looked like a bunch of farmers out for winter fun just before doing chores.

Actually the huge white tent with propane heaters wasn’t as cold as I imagined it would be. There were salads, chips, dips, crackers, fresh vegetables and fruit, cookies, and buns to fill with hot ham or roast beef. I even had a strawberry dipped into the chocolate fountain. There were cans of “pop”, coffee and another fountain of punch followed by the traditional cake and ice cream accompanied by nuts and mints.

Of course, the best part of the wedding for me was joining my relatives in a joyful occasion and to welcome Shawna into the family.

1 comment:

Jerry and Suzy said...

A person of your generation -- and ours -- can learn, can't we? I've always wondered why, when a bride wears white at a wedding to reflect the joy and happiness, why does the groom always wear black or another dark color?

Your family must have coordinated a lot of life, as there are so many weddings this year! Isn't it fun to be part of it all!