Thursday, November 18, 2010

Uncle Don Hoven





Some things are hard to write about so I’m just going to quote myself from the last pages of my first RV book, “RV Chuckles and Chuckholes- The Confessions of Happy Campers.” My opening paragraph on page 93 reads, “The first member of our family to fulltime – was Uncle Don. He was also the most romantic person in my young life. I don’t mean the man/woman hearts and flowers meaning of the word but in the heroic, adventurous, remote, mysterious or idealized sense of the word.”

Uncle Don usually wore his black Stetson hat. His silhouette reminded me of the Marlboro man except that he smoked a pipe instead of a cigarette. I wish that I had the photo in my RV but it is stored in Iowa. I found this photo that was taken when Terry and I and mom and dad visited him several years ago. Uncle Don is in the left side of the photo with the purple sweatshirt on.

We last visited Uncle Don in May of this year. As my father put it, “You don’t have to go to Lake View anymore.” Sadly, Uncle Don died of pneumonia in Oct. I miss him.

1 comment:

Jerry and Suzy said...

Uncle Don lived his heaven while on earth, now has another heaven to wander through and enjoy. You were undoubtedly as much a blessing in his life and he was in yours.