Tuesday, March 08, 2011

The Haining Family











Sorry that it has taken me so long to put this blog on the computer but Terry went to Yellowstone to go snowmobiling and I had company here in AZ and CA. I’ll write more about that in the next blog.

Terry and I went to a concert in Quartzsite that was a benefit for a cancer patient who is a gospel singer. The 300 to 500 people gave Lou over $10,000. When we heard the Haining family, we were so glad that they were coming to our campground church the next day on February 27.

The family included the father Mike, mother Peggy, and their teenagers James who is almost 20, Ruth and Pearl who are 18-year-old twins, and Grace who is 15 years old.

The wonderful hour-long concert they gave was inspirational and harmonious. The type of music was hard to describe. Their literature calls the singing “front porch family style music” but I didn’t know what that was. The instruments they played; fiddles, guitar, auto harp, banjo, mandolin, harmonica, and brass fiddle made me think of blue grass music but that didn’t really describe it either. I heard a little bit country, gospel, barbershop, and James, even yodeled. (Grace yodeled in the Saturday Quartzsite concert.)

Their choreography was amazing as they smoothly moved closer to the microphone to perform the solos, duets, trios, quartets or the whole family as a sextet. You never knew who was going to going to play which instrument next since they each played several instruments.

I asked for permission to take photos and put them on my blog. They not only said “yes” but also asked for copies of the photos. If you would like to know more about them, you can go to http://www.hainingfamily.com/ or to info@hainingfamily.com.

No comments: