Thursday, November 02, 2006

Road kill A La Mode


We are about 200 feet from the Colorado River that separates Arizona and California. Our satellite dish did not work for the Internet so I have written only one blog since we left Alaska. The above picture is one of the sunset pictures from where we boondocked on the California side of the river. (Boondocking is where you have no hook-ups. We did have six solar panels and a generator for power.)

Terry and I drove to Gila Bend for parts to fix the satellite dish. On the return to Parker, Arizona, we drove from Interstate 10 on the paved road to Salome, Arizona. This road has many dips to provide run off when the monsoon rains come in the summer. There were no fields or buildings for miles and miles. All we saw were rocks, desert cacti, and creosote bushes. Bouncing down the highway, I started singing “Dippity – do – da - dippity –“

Terry interrupted “What are those round things by the road?”

“Stop and I will find out?”

I saw about 50 round bodies along the road. Some where pretty smashed up but I picked up a dozen and put them in the plastic box in the rear of our Suzuki.

A clue to our find was two torn up cardboard boxes with the words “Del Monte “ on them.

When we arrived at our RV, I realized my mistake. We couldn’t eat a dozen road kill.
Jenny, the cook at the clubhouse, wasn’t sure that she wanted them until she saw them. Yes, the orange cantaloupe would be perfect for a fruit salad for Halloween.

I prefer cut up melon with a scoop of ice cream to make it road kill a la mode.

No comments: