Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ice Museum in Fairbanks











Fairbanks has an ice sculpture contest in March of each year where artists from all over the world compete for the best ice sculpture. In 2008, a 20-foot high creation of a flying woman over an architectural monument that looked a bit like a pagoda was the blue ribbon winner. Pictures of it were in their scrapbook but my attempt to photograph the pictures resulted in more glare than anything. Four persons from China created the ice sculpture in 5 days. One of the Chinese participants was at the museum while I was there and made a flower using what looked and sounded like dentist drills.

What I enjoyed the most was going into the freezer and experiencing the sculpture. A woman took my picture and I took one of her playing the xylophone. Yes, I played it too. The icy instrument really worked.

No comments: